August 2, 2011

Flower Cupcake Tutorial

Have you ever been to the site i am baker? She has a seriously amazing blog, and that’s where I learned how to do this:

DSC_0584

Aren’t they so cute? I’m am really happy with how they turned out, so I want to show you how I did it. 

You will need:

  • Cupcakes.
  • Frosting.  I used Swiss meringue buttercream, but you could easily use buttercream.
  • At least 1 petal tip, I used Wilton #103 (yellow) and also #124 (purple)
  • A bag to hold the frosting and petal tip (decorator’s bag, ziploc with a corner cut off…)

Start with the wide tip at the edge of the cupcake, add pressure to make a little dollop, then push the tip into the dollop a bit, and with continued pressure drag to the center of the cupcake.  Repeat all the way around.  Pushing the tip back into the dollop is what makes the line in the petal.  If that doesn’t make sense in words, I did make a video, I hope it’s helpful!

*note……  the only noises in the video are of my kids =) love them, but they are kinda loud….*

Hopefully your cupcakes won’t be sunken in like mine (it was a new recipe I need to change a bit) But even if they are, I actually kind of like the depth it gives to the flowers.

You can leave it with one layer of petals, or add another layer (or 2):DSC_0581same concept, just a smaller layerDSC_0583I honestly can’t decide if I like the single color, or 2-tone better.  What do you think?

How about some mini cupcakes?

DSC_0595

I think this one might be my favorite little one:

DSC_0594

on a random side note, Have you ever seen “The Swan Princess”? It’s an animated movie that came out in 1994.  and it.is.awesome.  It has great songs, that my siblings and I still sing sometimes, and now, so do my kids.  A part of one of the songs goes like this, “Practice, Practice, Practice!”  So to bring it back to cupcakes…..  That’s my best advice for piping.

If you decide to try this, (or any of the recipes on my blog), feel free to post some pictures on the www.facebook.com/fredellicious Facebook wall! I’d love to see it! Have a good day!

3 comments:

Carmen said...

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the two-tone is a lot cuter!

brittna said...

i love the swan princess

brittna said...

and also those cupcakes